Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Teddy Roosevelt

I have long admired Theodore Roosevelt.  (I highly recommend Edmund Morris' trilogy The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt, Theodore Rex, and Colonel Roosevelt.)  So when I had a chance to visit Long Island on a business trip, I made it a point to visit his home on Sagamore Hill.

I visited on a Sunday in April 2012, and at the time, there were sequestered cutbacks so the house was closed.  Mildly disappointed, I wandered the grounds virtually alone.

As I walked around the house, I climbed on the porch to look in the windows.  I was enjoying the nice spring day and noticed the rocking chairs.  As I saw them rock, I could picture Teddy and Edith sitting on the porch in their old age watching the Roosevelt clan climbing down the hill to the bay.  It was almost as if their spirits were reaching out to wish me peace.

The feelings that I had that day reinforced my belief that the National Parks and Historic Sites are a treasure and that they can give us a bridge back to a time a hundred years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment