Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Lego


Got some at work too!
(with noticeable lens distortion)

One of my favorite toys growing up was Lego.  Back in the 60's and 70's, Lego was quite primitive based on what we have today.  It primarily consisted of red and white bricks, and if you were lucky, there were some thick plates and wheels.  I remember creating buildings, vehicles, cities, and all sorts of red and white striped structures. 

As with most toy companies, Lego has evolved to become much more sophisticated, so that some purists believe that it isn't the same type of toy that it used to be.  Now, you can get buckets of "regular" Lego, but much more is sold in various models and kits.  Castles, space craft, monsters, robots and cars are just some of the items that are available for purchase, all with their own assembly instructions for "proper" assembly. 

I, for one, have succumbed to the dark side of Lego assembly.  I have buckets of Lego, some dating from the 60's, that can be used to create my own creations, however, virtually all of my purchases lately have been of the model variety.  Star Wars specifically. 

I carefully unwrap them, get out the instruction books, and assemble them exactly as shown on the book.  Following assembly, I admire the craft it went in the design, put them on the shelf to collect dust, and go off and get another model.  

Have I lost my originality?  Have I succumbed to the Toy Story II syndrome?  Am I treating them as collectables (read investments), not toys?  Am I too old for playing? 

Some people may find this frightening, some people liberating.  As for me, I find it a relatively cheap mid-life crisis.  That, and I'm getting a head start on my grand kids.  They will think I'm the coolest grandpa on the planet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment