Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Graduation




"You know nothing, Jon Snow."
I graduated from Virginia Tech with Bachelors of Science in Computer Science in 1982.  My journey there from Wisconsin was unexpected to me.

When I graduated from High School, my father was the Vice Chancellor at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.  He made it clear to me that the selection of where to go to college was up to me, but his position did have an influence on where I looked.  He had an unspoken perception of UWM compared to other universities in the state.  Not wanting to offend him in any way, I decided to go to college out of state. 

My father and I made a visit to Virginia Tech, and a few things stood out to me.  First, the setting was wonderful.  Blacksburg is located in the mountains, the campus was very open and architectually consistent, and they had all the programs that I was thinking about majoring in.  But what really sold me was the band director.

Vintage 1977 Uncle Heavy's Hog Hat Arkansas Razorbacks for the real supporters One of our visits was with the director of the marching band.  Dr. Heath had come to Tech from Purdue, so he could give us a perspective about how the school and region differed from the midwest.  During our discussion, the door opened, and a red warthog stuck its head into the room.  The student who was wearing the razorback helmet on his head didn't realize we were in there and turned as red as the helmet as soon as he saw Dr. Heath had guests.  We all shared a laugh, and it occurred to me that this is the kind of place that I would enjoy. 

I have no regrets. 

No comments:

Post a Comment