Tuesday, December 15, 2020

"Professor" Bob

For about three years, I was a teaching a class at Trinity Lutheran College in Everett.  I used to work for one of the women on the Board of Directors, and when she heard that they were considering a Business Information Systems class, she thought I would be a good person to teach it.  I was flattered, and for three years, I taught a one semester class.  

I designed my class to give business majors an overview into what type of business systems they may experience after they graduated.  I also wanted them to see how these systems would be used in business, so the class revolved around a semester long project, design, manufacture and sell a t-shirt.  

It was interesting to see the different groups work together.  Some groups were very creative, and came up with a really good design.  Other groups were process oriented, so they had the logistics of manufacturing and delivery down pat.  Still others were more focused on sales and were better at selling the product than the logistics.  

Along the way, we learned about Customer Relationship Management (CRM) systems, Inventory control, product costing and manufacturing systems.  One group even brought up a simple website to place orders.  We didn't get into a lot of detail, but by the time they were done, most of the students had a better appreciation for what happens in business.  

Unfortunately, the college was not financially viable, and after three years they closed their doors.  The building is now the headquarters of Funko. I was glad I got the opportunity to impart a little bit of wisdom I'd gained over the years.  

I kind of liked the classroom that I taught in because there were mirrors along the back of the room.  I expected the students to use their computers during class, because much of the material was online.  What the students didn't realize is that I could see their screens in the mirrors in the back of the room.  When I told them that on the last day of class, their reactions were priceless.  

No comments:

Post a Comment